LET CHAT, HAVE FUN, DISCUSS, SHARE IDEA. LEAVE NICE COMMENTS, QUERIES, ADVICES AND REQUEST




Sunday, February 21, 2010

Streching your Relaxer

Over the past years, I relaxed my hair at maximum, every 2 months. Which I think it is bad.
Last year, I decide to take care of my hair properly, so I say to myself I will only relax my hair three times in a year which is every 4months. This year my first relax will be in March
Stretching your relaxer is extending the time between your recent relaxer to the next one. This will help you hair to get healthier, it will save you money and can lead to longer hair growth.
Relaxing your hair too often can make it thin, limp and lifeless. We do this out of fear of breakage at the demarcation line and/or simply from the fact that we don't know how to "tame" our new growth.
While stretching, you have to listen to your hair. If you are doing everything and you start experiment breakage and shedding, it may be time for you to stop the stretching and relax.
Stretching will help you not to overlap your hair, applying new relax on the hair that is already relax.
Stretching chemical processes reduces the number of lines of demarcation between previously relaxed hair and touch-ups; lines of demarcation are the weaker areas of hair that are the most prone to breakage.
But it is not easy to stretch your relaxer longer, especially with black hair, you will have to deal with 3 type of hair :
- New growth: which not all always easy, depend on the type of hair you have.
- Demarcation line: which is the line where the natural hair ends and the relaxed hair starts. This part is usually fragile and need extra care to prevent breakage. Your hair is thicker and your chemically treated hair is not only thinner but also weaker. The best way to keep your relaxed hair from breaking off from your natural hair is to do protein treatments. The protein will keep the line of demarcation strong and your hair breakage-free.
- Relaxer hair, which usually on top.
Don't be alarmed if it's not easy to stretch your hair relaxer at first. You'll learn what your hair needs to adjust to the new schedule while staying manageable.
Stretching is not for everyone and if you’re not doing it right, you may notice breakage as a result of stretching. It is advice that you stop immediately. The goal is healthy hair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tried to stretched my relaxer. I've deep conditioned, used coconut and castor oil, wore half-wigs, and applied moisturizer daily. I stretched to 8 weeks the first time and 10 weeks the second. My already fragile fine hair is thinner, and I feel like reverting back to my old schedule of relaxing every six weeks. Is it true that stretching may not be for me?